Sunday, March 24, 2024

The Veil Between Worlds by Hope Carolle

 



Time Travel!!

Did I scare you away already?  

I picked this little gem up at my Local - Park Road Books.  The author is a Local too, and the store was hosting an author event that I planned to go to but ended up missing, dangit.  I was really looking forward to meeting her!  And I love to support local writers.

Plus, this was a good read!!

A newly single Professor of Middle English visits her college roommate in England with her two small daughters while trying to avoid her friend's brother, her old college boyfriend.  Of course, that all goes awry when he shows up, in manacles, and says "Follow me, I can explain why I left you with no word all those years ago!!"

Cue the Labyrinth that takes them and a friend back to 1344, and the founding of the Order of the Garter, and Edward III.

There is a bit of romance here, but not too much.  The focus is on our heroine, Ellie, trying to get back to her time and her children left behind, while also being fascinated by what she is hearing, seeing and eating!  The detail here is stellar (although the book had some editorial/spelling errors that drove me crazy - what WAS Ellie's husband's name? He is Alex on page 13 but Tom on pages 146/198) right down to the clothes, the castles, and the lavish meals and servant life.   The story was very engaging and gave me a very satisfying if not completely tied up ending, which is ok.  

A pretty quick but not too light read.  The author has started a series with this book, but I was surprised to learn that the Ladies of the Labyrinth are each different stories, with travel back to different times; the books are not otherwise connected.  Interesting!  HOPEfully I will get another chance to meet Hope Carolle one day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment