Sunday, March 24, 2024

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris



Historical fiction lovers, here's one for you!

This is a relatively short book, and an important story.  Based on a real person and his experiences in Auschwitz, it is a story of survival, and how you can take a horrible situation and try to do some good anyway.  There is a love story at its heart, but this is a perspective that has been missing.  I do agree with some other reviewers on Goodreads that the novel itself is a bit dry, as the author takes a factual rather than emotional approach to recounting Lale's experiences.  But I am not sure I could have handled the subject matter as well if there was too much more emotion added. Terrible things happen in front of Lale's eyes, and I actually think that approach helped this story BE approachable.  It is educational, important to remember, and leaves you feeling some hope for the world.  This is not at the level of Unbroken, but this was a good book to read and be reminded that the human spirit can prevail in the face of evil and tragedy.  I don't think I will go on to read the spin off about a side character, I think this was enough for me.  I am glad I read it, but don't feel the need to read the next one too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment