Sunday, March 24, 2024

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

 





This book made me crazy.  And not in a good way.  It definitely has its redeeming points, and there is a nice ending.  But it jumps all over the place timewise and I had a hard time keeping up with all the characters.  For one character, we never even get a name.  I had one "twist" if you can call it that figured out pretty soon.  (Granted, there is another part of the book that I did not see coming that is subtle and I actually didn't like it, but there ya go.  Other readers thought it was brilliant; I was annoyed.  Haha!)

Basically, a bank robber fails to rob the bank and panics and runs into an apartment building and ends up in the middle of an open house for an apartment that is for sale and takes all the people in attendance hostage.

Accidentally.  

So then the rest of the novel takes us down several tangents as we get to know all the hostages' back stories and it did not make for fun reading for me.  There were so many connections and subplots it was like the author couldn't really figure out what the story was about.  It was about too many people.  At the end I can see where Backman was trying to go, but this is definitely not my favorite of his novels.  He seems to like to write about unhappy people, and yes, most of them end up happier by the end, but I was not one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment