Friday, March 29, 2024

Hostage by Clare Macintosh

 


I loved the first of Mackintosh's books I read - or, actually, listened to - I Let You Go.  The dual  narration on that one was divine.  And the twists!!  

Enter Hostage.  I read the physical book this time.  I had picked it up a few months ago but put it back down;  I didn't want to read about a potential hijacking situation right before Christmas.  But, I picked it up again a few weeks ago and could not put it down!  Timing is everything.  Which is exactly what Mina learns.

A flight attendant who apparently had a panic attack in pilot school, she and her husband adopted a daughter who they struggle with.  Her husband is keeping secrets, and when Mina discovers this, she secretly arranges to be assigned to a 20 hour flight to Australia to have time away.  Then, she gets a note on board.  

Do what we say and your daughter will live.

What she does next, and next and next, and what Adam does in reaction to his own situation with their troubled daughter back home will leave you on the edge of your seat.  There is a lot rolled into this novel that I won't mention here.  The slow reveal is part of the delight.  Mackintosh is a great writer; she will lead you down one mental path only to throw light on a situation that you didn't even know you were in the dark about.  Literally, what a ride!!!  Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT read the last page (Anne, I am looking at you).  I promise, it will be worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment