Tuesday, January 24, 2023

The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier

 The House on the Strand


Ever since, and probably before, I found Outlander, I have been a sucker for a time travel story.  For a while there, it seemed everyone and their uncle were writing dual timeline stories, and I loved it.  Sort of like the best of both worlds for lovers of historical and literary fiction - there it was all in one book!

And, one of my all-time favorite books is Rebecca.  "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...."


So yes, reading fans, this book was meant to be for me. 


I found it last year, on Independent Bookstore Day, on my tour of the map my local gave me that morning, showing several independent bookstores to visit that day.  It was sitting on a shelf in the smallest used bookstore/gift shop I had ever been in.  I had never heard of this book, but obviously knew the author.  I read My Cousin Rachel a few years ago and was shocked at the time to learn how many books du Maurier had actually written.  (Sorry, TBR!!!) So, for the hefty price of one dollar, I grabbed it.


What a brilliant story!  Weird, oh yes indeedy.  But totally brill. (As they say in England.)  I really want to tell you NOT to read the flap, as when I did I was kinda like, ugh, this is not really up my alley.  So, just dive in.  Briefly, you have an English Chap with an American wife (interesting choice) who goes to Cornwall for vacation and agrees to help his old college friend and professor with an experiment of sorts.  The house where he is staying, waiting for his wife and two stepsons to arrive in a few days, is based on the house du Maurier actually lived in at the end of her life.  (She was also inspired by a house to write Rebecca.)  Cornwall and the house both become characters in their own right this story, as the history associated with the area comes into play - remember I mentioned time travel?  Yeah, it is not what you think. 


The plot twists were not the only surprises here - let me tell you, our esteemed author has some snark in her!  The main character gives several asides that made me laugh, even though the situation was serious.  Gothic, yes, but not super dark, more mysterious in atmosphere.  Readers will begin to piece the puzzle pieces together, but one must pay attention!  A mystery from the past becomes more than an obsession, and Richard has a hard time letting it go.  I had so many questions during my read, which I obviously cannot share, and I think I will be hardpressed to convince my book club to read this, so if you have read it I need a debrief session quam primum!  


An action packed mystery with the biggest bang up ending I have read in a long time.  I mean, I literally wrote in my notes, "What an ending!"  Read it to find out why!!

No comments:

Post a Comment