Tuesday, January 10, 2023

My Favorite Reads of 2022, and looking toward 2023

 Hello Readers!


I am embarrassed how long it has been since I have written and published a review - I promise I am still reading; I just have so enjoyed my recent reads that I have sadly not taken time to write about them! 

Which is actually a warning, because now I am determined to get through several many reviews in a very short time - get ready!!!  I have 6 physical books stacked on my desk, one I lent out, and one on my giveaway stack that I can see, plus a few audiobooks that I cannot see, and wait, have I borrowed any ebooks from the library since November??  I really need to get myself together.

I am very glad that I have a book journal to help me, including Anne Bogel's My Reading Life.  I love its small size, many many lists of books, space for tracking and jotting and all kinds of ratings and bonus information.  I also use Goodreads (A LOT), I have a blank journal that I started recording my books in the year I got married (25 years ago!!) and last year I started a one-page hand drawn bookshelf sheet that I can color in as I read. It gives me an at a glance look at my reading life, which has been really helpful! 

For instance, in 2022, I listened to 8 audiobooks, borrowed 17 books from the library and 9 books from my college age daughters, 2 from my mom, and the rest I actually owned.  I read a whopping ONE book from the 100+ titles I own on my Kindle.  That virtual stack of books might need some attention in 2023.  But probably won't get it.  Because my physical stack of books is still too high.  Book Lovers' Problem #1 - so many books, so little time!

For interest, here were some of my favorite reads from My Reading Life of 2022 (not necessarily published in 22, that is just when I read them!):


The Unwilling by John Hart

*Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio version!)

*Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doer

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner

The Searcher by Tana French

The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner as read by Richard Armitage

*Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell

Horse by Geraldine Brooks

*Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

Surviving Savannah by Patti Callahan

The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

*The Water Keeper by Charles Martin

Thank You for Listening by Julia Whelan

Take My Hand by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (Ok, I cheated, that is actually four books)


I knew I could not just pick 10, but I did star my top TOP favorites.  I would put most of my reads on this list actually, except Verity by Colleen Hoover, I hated that one.


I also prioritized some books that had been on my shelf for a long time, and that gave me good direction last year.  I have done that again, but added more, from 12 last year to 18 this year.  And I am intrigued by the idea someone put forth that if you buy a new book, you must be willing to read it within the next 30 days, else you should not buy it now.  Hmmm.  Considering I have so many physical books that are waiting for me on my shelf that I obviously did NOT read within 30 days of purchase, I really should just ban myself from buying any more books.


As. If.


Last year I also made a concerted effort to read a few classics.  I finally tackled Pride and Prejudice, re-read The Great Gatsby (and was not impressed), and read Fahrenheit 451 with my book club.  I read my daughter's favorite series (The Lunar Chronicles listed above), and purposefully listened to more audiobooks based on performance reviews and/or availability from Libby, which I have also turned to more often in hopes I will stop buying so many books.  I am running out of shelves (Book Lovers' Problem #2 - so many books, so little space).


I did not have many low ratings on my books, and I know I had a lot of five stars this year.  But I am ok with that.  I like to think I pick books I know I am going to like, hence all the high ratings.  I read mostly for entertainment, I don't read much nonfiction or educational/political/self-help books.  I like what I like and I like that I like it.  So I have tried to stop stressing about the whole, "YOU get a five, and YOU get a five!"  If I enjoyed the book, it is going to get a good rating!  I tend to rate not as a comparison to other books, only as a way to mark how much I enjoyed reading it. Or not.


So, looking forward to 2023:  I don't really have any goals that are new or different.  I like how last year panned out with the priority reads to help me decide what I should read next, with using/reading the books I already have in the house supplemented by the local library, with a few visits to Sally at my local bookstore peppered in just so she doesn't think I forgot her.  Again, as if!! I will again try to read at least two classics.  This year I am thinking maybe a re-read of Anne of Green Gables, or a first read of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or Winne the Pooh (both of which are on my shelf!).  One thing I am going to try to do is put more of my reads onto Social Media, Instagram in particular.  My handle there is @rawlesreads so come follow me on my Reading journey, 2023!  And thanks for being here.  Please comment below what your reading goals are, what classic you think I should read, and what book you are most excited about for 2023!

 

Happy Reading!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment