Sunday, January 22, 2023

Book Lovers by Emily Henry

 



I do enjoy a book that references other books.  And is set in the Book World (editing and agent-ing).  And I sometimes am known to employ, I mean, enjoy, snark.

BOOM!

This book hits all those and more.  I am not usually drawn to Rom-Com type books, but hey, I was at the beach where last time I read Beach Read (and plus my neighbor lent me this book and I needed to get it finished and back to her).

A fun, fast pace, also set in NYC (three in a row for me, what is happening??), and the Banter here is awesome.  Two sisters with divergent life paths decide to go on a month long vacation to North Carolina to visit the tiny town where one of their favorite books is set.  Cue Hallmark movie meet cute.

Not.

I like the way Henry turned the old trope on its head here.  She hits some pretty serious issues here - the sisters lost their mom and Nora still feels responsible for her baby sister Libby, even though said baby sister is now grown, married and has two and a half children (she's preggers).  Nora has her own relationship issues and is a very successful and feared literary agent trying to get her client's next book sold to a moody and rude editor who is decidedly NOT HOT.

Until, maybe, he is, a little.  (OK, a lot - this probably qualifies as an open door book.)

Yeah, predictable, but still a good story with some good family drama thrown in, a few off track directions, and an ending that was surprising in one way and not in another.  I actually wrote down a lot of quotes here that are seriously introspective into different character's lives that I think could lead to some good discussion.  But, definitely a light read, and if that is what you are looking for, this is more than Harlequin but less than Moriarty.  I liked this one better than Beach Read, I think it had more substance and plot. 

So who are the book lovers of the title?  Read the book to find out!

Best quote:
Is there anything better than iced coffee and a bookstore on a sunny day?  I mean, aside from a hot coffee and a bookstore on a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment