Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

The Sun Down Motel


The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James


I hate it when I leave a five star rating of a book and then don't review it right away.  Sigh.

So this one I read over the summer. It was a crazy summer at my house and now that the fall is starting to settle in I finally have a chance to come back to all the books I got through (sorry not sorry for the onslaught of reviews today).  I think this was another What Should I Read Next recommendation from Anne Bogel (get on her podcast right this second if you haven't already! So much fun!).  Billed as a horror or dark fiction, I was skeptical but since Anne does not like heavy horror and recommended this one, I felt safe.  I like a dark book every now and then, I just don't want to lose sleep over a Pet coming back to life from the graveyard, thank you very much Mr. King. 

Set in two time periods, we learn the story of Viv, a young girl who left her family and found a job on the night shift at a broken down motel.  And then she disappeared, never to be heard from again.  The sister she left behind never gets over this loss, and refuses to talk about it.

Thirty five years later, Viv's niece decides to try to find out what happened to her aunt Viv.  Carly ends up going to the small NY town where Viv was last known to be, and gets a night job guess where??  At the same run down motel.  Yep.  And then the creepiness begins.  Strange happenings, strange smells, strange visions.  A proper ghost story?  Or a murder mystery shrouded in rumors?  Decide for yourself in this really well done twister where the answers will have you gasping more than once, but they won't scare you.

Just don't answer the phone.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment