Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave

 

The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave










I was not really taken in by the flap description of this one - a woman's husband mysteriously disappears and leaves her a note to protect his daughter. And that is all. Nothing else about what is happening.

But -

The story unfolded a whole lot differently than I expected. This book was recommended by Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy fame, and I thought ok, I'll give it a whirl. I got SO MUCH MORE out of this book than I thought! There were some parts where I thought Hannah (the wife) was way out of her depth and the things she did and risked and said on her journey to the truth about her relatively new husband seemed unrealistic.  She chases him down to find out why he ran and from whom - really.  She starts to see a past she did not know about, and wonders how to tell the daughter he asked her to protect.  From what exactly?  She doesn't know, and she feels blindsided.  However, when you realize what the story is really about, the deepest part of the story in finding who you are, who you can be, and who you really love, and what you would do and not do for those you do love - THAT is when it really got me. A fantastic ending that you may or may not see coming, and a quick read - mainly because you can't put it down. Brava, Hannah, and Brava, Laura Dave!

No comments:

Post a Comment