Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Fix by David Baldacci


The Fix by David Baldacci
 
by 

Aug 16, 2017 
really liked it

So often a series begins to wane after the first few books - formulaic, familiar and finite (I am all about alliteration...see what I did there????). But after not really expecting much from this third Amos Decker installment, I was pleasantly surprised!

I LOVED Memory Man (book one). I also enjoyed The Last Mile (book two). So I was thrilled to hear another Amos Decker book was coming out. I really enjoy this character and his "flaws."

The story this time is a bit convoluted, so get ready. Lots of threads in the mystery of why a man shoots a woman in broad daylight and then kills himself when there is no connection to be found between the two people (some reviewers say too many threads). Secrets, espionage, the Hoover building and an imminent threat to the USofA? Decker is on the case with Jamison in tow as usual, but we get a bit more of the human side of Decker in this book I think. Less emphasis on his exacting memory and more on the personal relationships (although he still dashes out of a room with no warning which I think is hilarious, I hope that never changes!!). One arc includes a terminally ill boy and Decker really shows some heart with this kid, very refreshing. Super small hint about the possibility that Decker's memory might fade into normalcy.....hmmmm. And a cameo from Melvin Mars too! Oh! And a reference to To Kill a Mockingbird - loved it!!!

A fun series, I hope it continues but would like to see more of the memory man back if there is a book four, which I am sure there will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment