Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit


Anna and the Swallow Man
Anna and the Swallow Man
by Gavriel Savit



I just didn't get it.

Beautiful writing, yes.  Plot?  Not really.  Historical times? Definitely.  Parable?  I can only hope.

I may come back to this after my soon to be Godson-In-Law reads it and explains it to me.  (He's a doctoral candidate in Literature.)  But my girlfriend and I read this simultaneously at the beach and we both gasped at the same page, then threw the book across the room at the same page, then were absolutely stunned at the end - and not in a good way.

My main question - WHAT WAS THE POINT????  Young Polish orphan girl leaves her village to follow a strange man in the midst of WWII; they walk in circles for years, avoiding the troops; pick up another strange man along the way, forming a stranger still family unit of sorts; they see horrors and winter in the woods and have no direction; then it ends.  What the what??

And other reviewers are saying this is young adult or juvenile fiction?  Nope.

Wasted day of reading.  On to better stories.  Sorry, bookseller who told me this was the best historical fiction book in his store.  Definitely not a literal take on the times - I think it was more fantasy/allegory - and even then maybe I just wasn't in the mood.....bring on David Baldacci....ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment