Saturday, February 11, 2023

Waypoints: My Scottish Journey by Sam Heughan

 

Waypoints by Sam Heughan







Even as a HUGE Outlander fan (books first, tv second), I was not sure about Sam's book.  I don't do much nonfiction or biography.  He is too young for a memoir, I thought.  And he is famously silent about his personal life (good for him!).  So, why is he writing a book?


I listened to this one - Sam reads it himself, and he is HILARIOUS, y'all!  All his acting chops were showcased here as he quoted people in different accents, chuckled at his own immaturities and insecurities, revealed much about his childhood and family, and, mostly, took us with him on his five day hike on the Scottish West Highland Way, a 96 mile walk.


Say what??


The structure of this book was actually well done.  My only complaint is that on the audio version there was not enough pause between the sections of his walking journey and the flashbacks he gives us of growing up and deciding to become an actor.  But otherwise, I loved how the title really has deep meaning once you understand how the word Waypoints is used, and it made sense that he would pair this walk with his life journey - so far.


I have heard that there are photos in the book, but in the audio version we are treated to a few recordings of Sam at the end of each day of the actual walk.  You can hear the rain in the background!!  An interesting and introspective accounting of how he got to where he is now - his struggles and friendships and jobs (he's a great bartender apparently!) and work.  I would highly recommend the audiobook, it is a great performance, but may also have to sneak a look at the book next time I'm at the store in hopes of viewing baby Sam photos!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment