Friday, February 18, 2022

The Girl From Widow Hills by Megan Miranda

 The Girl from Widow Hills

Megan Miranda was one of the featured authors in our local library's big fundraiser in the fall of 2020, and this was her latest book.  She is a local author as well, and I had never read her books!  This read, a thriller with twists and turns, definitely tells me I will like her other books too.  

There are some holes in it, and some parts that seemed out of character for our protagonist especially nearer to the end.  The whole story was a bit disjointed, with the really weird mother/daughter relationship, Olivia's past, and the whole idea that you can't run away.  I was so intrigued by the premise of how her famous childhood impacted her adult life and her whole attitude, and thought this book had such big promise because of that.  Then, it went in a totally different direction and just got really, well, unlikely.  I did not like how she ended things, how she left someone to pay and just moved on.  But as far as a good read goes, I wanted to know what would happen next.  There is a twist or two at the end that you can kind of see building, and maybe that reveal is what was just a bit of a letdown for me only because while I can totally see that happening, I just didn't like it, haha!  


Overall, an ok read, I would read more from this author and am thinking maybe this one just won't be my favorite.  I have alluded before to Sally's advice (Sally is my local bookstore owner whom I WORSHIP) to give authors' other books a chance, just like you would give a chance to a sibling of someone you don't like.  Just because you don't like Mary Jane doesn't mean you won't fall in love with her younger brother Bobby!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment