Friday, January 14, 2022

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

 Malibu Rising

As soon as I finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by this author last fall, I thought I have GOT to read more by Reid.  I was not disappointed in my next choice, and am now seriously considering adding her to my backlist completist list!

I was captivated by the four siblings' relationships and histories in this novel.  While the story doesn't go TOO deep, we do get a skim of each of their personalities and hangups and traumas.  The close relationship between the two brothers just about brought me to my knees.  Brotherly love is not something to take lightly and this is not often studied in novel form it seems, but is very well done here, especially with a major conflict.  Nina, the eldest, takes on a lot of responsibility in the family but is a bit of a pleaser/pushover in her love life, but look out, she's had enough and change is a-coming. And Kit is just kinda lost, until she realizes why and goes with it.  I did love the history behind the making of The Sandwich!!  A dual timeline construct provides flashbacks to their parents' lives which helps explain the current situations - somewhat.  And I liked the fast paced switcheroo of the alternating years.  As Nina prepares for their annual high society party in LA where the rich and famous (which they sort of ARE and sort of AREN'T) gather at her coastal mansion to see, be seen, and get wasted, the four siblings are moving toward a huge reveal and several surprises and a big unexpected guest.  Or two.

With a character connection to Evelyn Hugo and I believe also to Daisy Jones and the Six (I am like 8 weeks out for that one on audio at the library - hurry up people!!!), these are fun books to read over a weekend.  Well written, some good twists, fast paced and definitely kept my attention!


No comments:

Post a Comment