Friday, October 8, 2021

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger

 

Definitely epic, definitely reminiscent of Huck Finn, and maybe just a teeny tiny bit overhyped.  

Or maybe I just waited to long to read it.

I found this to be a bit more simple in writing style than I expected.  My first WKK and probably not my last, but I think because I waited so long to read it and have read such stellar reviews that I might have suffered from Great Expectations. 

Still, a good read and a good story.  Four kids in 1932 have a rough childhood for various reasons.  They band together after a devastating tornado and run away - down river.  Adventures abound and await! The novel focuses on the first few months, but at the end takes us way down river to their longer lives, which I appreciated.  Lyrical and a classic story of a Life Journey and taking the road/river less travelled. A worthwhile weekend read.

No comments:

Post a Comment