Monday, April 30, 2018

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer


I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book.  I had relatively low expectations (although I LOVED the Twilight series - don't judge) of this one after I saw some not so great reviews on her sophomore attempt The Host, but I am wondering now if Meyer has found a better niche for herself in this more action-packed spy thriller genre.  My mom recommended it, and my only complaint is that I read it right after reading Dean Koontz's The Whispering Room - Jane could have taught Alex a lot, but I digress.......

Yes, there is a triangle of main characters. Yes, there is a love story.  And yes, they are all fighting a common evil.  But this evil is real - it is the government!!! 

Alex is a former chemist and secret agent employee who is given wide parameters in her research of certain, um, chemicals that are very efficient in getting information out of certain people.  A-hem.  But then apparently Alex learns something she is not supposed to learn in her super secret job and she has to go on the run.  Many identities, no strings, no liabilities, cash only, and yes my accessories are ALL WEAPONS, just in case.  She is book smart, learns to become street smart, and relationally challenged.  Enter her chance to become normal again - one last job for the super secret agency, because she IS the best at what she does.  Or, is it the final trap????

So the premise is not new, nor is the plot of hiding in plain sight or risking your life ONE LAST TIME.  But Meyer does manage to spin this one a bit differently and she is pretty good at the whole dialogue thing - especially at banter and barbs.  I liked Alex and her pessimistic attitude - that is her survival gear.  The romance is of course hard to believe (spoiler maybe: but I kept expecting that to be the trap; who is cynical now??).  There are some complaints here about plot - it was a bit hard to follow but the action kept me going until the plot was actually revealed in full glory nearer the end.  Loved the Epilogue too.  Nice touch.

A good beach read, probably ok for your teens (maybe one bad word and implied but not graphic sex).  Nice job Ms. Meyer.  Maybe I will go back to The Host and make my own judgement.  Right after I finish the 42 other books in my stack.......  sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment