Friday, May 26, 2023

The Witch's Heart by Genevieve Gornichec

 


I am way behind, so just a short and sweet one this week - for those who enjoyed Circe by Madeleine Miller, for those who love mythology and gods, for Marvel fans who love Loki, for those who enjoy a very strong, capable and determined woman, this book is for you.

I would go so far as to say this one is better than Circe.  I liked Circe, but found the language kinda short and choppy.  This one, you can fall in to.  So very well written, the author weaves Norse mythology into a love story, a family story, a story of abandonment and magic and burning and seeing and of three very unusual children.  It is the story of a woman who is used, turned away, isolated, loved, who becomes a fiercely protective mother, wife, friend, and lover, and who fights for her family.

Quite relatable, really.

But, this is fantasy at its best, so if mythology and fantasy are not your thing, this will not be for you.  It is the story of Angrboda, a witch and seer who is punished by Odin, stripped of her powers for not helping him, and who flees to a remote forest to live alone and lonely.  Until she is discovered by Loki, and they fall in love.  Trouble ensues.  

I found the world building to be very believable and my daughter assured me that the mythology was on point (yes, Loki did actually give birth himself, just not in human form.  Say what?).  A definite break from the NYTimes best sellers and thrillers and mysteries I have been reading lately, this was a good read.  Sad in places for sure, full of the power of Woman, but such a different story, and a full circle ending, I would encourage Readers to give it a whirl!  I totally bought it for the cover, too.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment