Wednesday, March 15, 2023

The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman

 


What a fun read.  Which is exactly what I said about the first book in this series if I am not mistaken!

I bought The Thursday Murder Club in New York City at The Mysterious Bookshop.  I bought this second in the series at Beacon Hill Books in Boston.  I am really feeling the pressure of my own mystery now:  where will I buy book three???  (Suggestions, anyone??)

We learn a lot more about Elizabeth in this installment of our favorite septuagenarian solvers of murders.  Someone from her past shows up and creates havoc and a trail of clues to follow, which are even more twisty-turny than in the first story!  Again, the banter here is stellar.  I laughed out loud at some comments and phrases and attitudes (that sweet little Joyce is hilarious, but watch out for her!).

I loved Ibrahim's outlook on life, or the missing out of same.  I loved trying to figure out which character is the funniest.  (It is a tie.)  Or the Smartest. (Ditto)  Or my favorite.  (Well, Joyce, I think actually.)  I died laughing over a whole scene about emojis and spent half the novel trying to figure out who the murderer(s?) is and half the novel trying to figure out which English actors should play each of the characters in a movie version.  (I want to play Joyce!  Or, maybe Sally Field except she isn't English and I am still mad that an Englishwoman played Scarlett O'Hara so I will also need to insist that the Thursday Murder Club be portrayed by English actors.  I am nothing if not consistent)

Do you even want a synopsis?  I don't think you need one, but here goes:  Stolen diamonds, the Mob, an ex, a tattoo or two, a dog named Alan, a trip to Antwerp, friendship bracelets, one smart kid, several dead bodies, a randy drug dealer who has the hots for Bogdan (wait, maybe he is my favorite), Chris and Donna and the woman who connects them, hair plugs.... and like I said, a whole lot of fun.  I read the whole thing in a day on a long plane ride, perfect for travel or the beach or when you need a lighter but very engaging read.


No comments:

Post a Comment