Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Pandemic. And no, I am not talking about a book. (Lockdown, part 1)

Hi Friends,

So, here we sit.  In our houses.  Quarantined.  Today is March 24, 2020.  For me and my family, it is Day 9 of self-isolating because of COVID-19.

And I have only read one book.

What is HAPPENING IN MY WORLD????

Everyone's worlds are being rocked right now.  We have a new language:  Pandemic, Zoom, Quarantine, Wash Your Hands, and Flatten the Curve.  We are finding creative ways to stay busy and stay in touch.  So far I have cleaned out my clothes closet, producing 6 bags of clothes and shoes I will no longer wear (ok, fine, they don't fit.  At the end of this quarantine I will probably find another bag or two that don't fit either, but that is off point.).  I have actually vacuumed the baseboards, written some letters - BY HAND - and finished a scrapbook of our trip to Australia last year.  I have cleaned out some things in my craft room, done a yoga video every day (almost), colored with my daughter, and introduced the kids to MY James Bond - Pierce Brosnan.  And my hubby and I are binging The Blacklist until midnight every night - omg I love James Spader!!!!  But one thing I am NOT doing is cooking - you people are on your own for that.  Teaching my kids to cook by default, I am.

But I have only read one book.  Maybe because I think I should be busier than that.  Maybe because I feel guilty reading.  I thought at first that oh, I will have time to finally get through that shelf of books I keep putting off, books that my mom or my sister in law have given me, books I bought I cannot remember when, books I passed over in favor of newer purchases.  I started in January, and have read about 3 of them this year, but now I am actually one book behind on my Goodreads Challenge.  ACCKKK!!

I am on my second book of the quarantine now - a Daphne du Maurier called My Cousin Rachel - thank you Dottie!!  I had no idea she had written so many books!! (17 Fiction, plus 8 nonfictions) This one is dark, a bit gothic, and so far VERY engaging.  Who knew it was written 70 years ago?  Man, she is good.  Plus, Rebecca is one of my top five books, and one of the first I remember reading as a teen - along with Gone With the Wind.  I am glad I finally picked it up.  I am hopeful that I will be able to read several more during these uncertain weeks, especially now that today NC declared a Stay at Home order, and my local bookstore sadly must close by tomorrow.   I will continue to read what I have, and support local businesses as I can.  Meanwhile, I am focusing on any silver lining I can find:  more time with my college freshman, home from college a wee bit early; time to enjoy a TV show my husband and I both enjoy; time to clean, purge, do all those little projects you keep putting off in the house; time to craft and color and make a playlist and have some simple fun.  Make those phone calls (I gotta call Uncle Bill), pull out those "Been Meaning To's" in the back of the laundry room or locker or bedside table.  Make a list (my favorite!!) of the movies on Netflix or Amazon that you would enjoy, IF YOU HAD TIME.  Cuz, guess what?  Time is what it is all about right now.

Tell me what you are spending this Found Time doing, even if it is just dreaming up new stuff you COULD do, if you had time.


No comments:

Post a Comment