Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Auraria by Tim Westover



Auraria by Tim Westover













If you are reading this in your email box, please click to go to the blog to read the entire review!  Thank you!  ~Rawles


Is it just me or are others somewhat deflated to learn that a fantastically imaginative story is in fact, fact???  Just when I think truth cannot be stranger than fiction, I read the author’s note and learn that all this imagination I thought he had was not imagined at all. He based it all on a true story. Even the town name was real once upon a time.  Kind of a bummer.

So while this book is full of Southern lore and spirits who play piano and sprites who appear at the side of the lake, it was a bit much and a bit too long for me.  The main character annoyed me; if he was supposed to be tragic he certainly was.  There is some snappy dialogue here and I actually did appreciate the writing style as being a nice support for this type of story - somewhat clipped, proper (like our main man), and full of tongue in cheek eye rolls.

I found the moral of this story was several fold: leave well enough alone; sometimes “progress” only leads to regression; listen to your heart. A nice little ending but this book is definitely not for everyone. You really have to like the fantastic, the parable, and the unbelievable. Accept it like Holtzclaw does and you may even enjoy this very different ride.

(But Westover, if you went to Davidson, why does your bio say you were educated in England??  Was that in reference to your pre- college Ed? I will blame that on your editor- just confusing.  (Disclaimer: I live in NC and part of the reason I read this was that local connection.))

No comments:

Post a Comment