Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia

The Murmur of Bees

Stunning. Beautiful. My Book of the Summer (and it is only June).

I found this on my Kindle. I have no idea when or why I bought it.  It is not the usual kind of book that would pique my interest.  (edit - I think it was a free e-book as part of Amazon's World Book Day Celebration in March; if so I hit the jackpot!!)  But I think Simonopio now rivals Owen Meany as my favorite literary character of all time. Well, besides Jamie Fraser, but that's a given. 

This book was translated from Spanish. Usually, lyrical prose does not come through in those cases. This is different. Kudos to Simon Bruni for this spectacular translation; I cannot even imagine what the original version must be like to read. Flowing, almost dreamlike, we are introduced to the Franscico and Beatriz Cortez Morales, who live in the little village of Linares and have a farm, and a family. An extended family that includes a mute old woman, a mysterious boy with a deformity and a hive of bees, and oh so much love to share. Set in and around 1918 and beyond, we learn of the effects of the Spanish Flu, the Mexican Revolution, the effects of music and brotherhood and godparents who are really parents. 

Please please read this book. I even called my new godson-in-law today to let him know that he, an English Professor, will be wanting to teach using this book. So many layers and symbols and relationships and and and. Just, yeah, read it. Sigh. I am sad that I finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment