Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Alex and Me by Irene Pepperberg


Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence—and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process

Fascinating!

I am not usually one to read memoirs or nonfiction for that matter, but something about this book intrigued me.  Honestly, it has been on my Kindle for a while now, so it was probably a BookBub special!!!!

So, I found myself taking this with a little bit of salt, but Irene, a pyschologist, certainly did develop an amazing attachment/relationship with her African Grey Parrot  Now, I want one!  But they are extremely social creatures, and she spent hours in her lab testing him and working with him and teaching him to talk and doing all kinds of crazy things that seemed to give credence to the fact that we really should NOT be using "Bird-Brain" in a derogatory manner.  She and Alex became famous, and had a banter of communication that was likened to an old married couple.  Irene discusses the judgment she faced for her gender in her field, for her CHOICE of field, and for her work at all.  But she was nothing if not determined.  A very sweet story with some scientific interest - I did not find it overly so.   A fun, and funny, different type of read for me.  Perfect for summer!!!  And, allowed me to stick to my rule that when I traveled this summer, I only took my Kindle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment