Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin


The Immortalists

Not what I expected, but a pretty good read.  As I was reading I was thinking - oh, I am not really liking this a whole bunch, but then as with other good books, the ending really wrapped things up in some profound ways that left it somewhat redeemed.  There were actually passages right at the end that I thought, "Oooo, I should copy that down and remember that!"

Lots of flashbacks and forwards here so it can be confusing.  The novel begins with four children sneaking out to learn their date of death from a rumored Gypsy woman.  Each child is then given a date, which affects each of them differently for the rest of their lives.  If you know, what do you do with that knowledge?  Suppress it?  Change your life?  Live your life?  Or live in fear that she was right?

Four children, four perspectives.  I think I enjoyed Klara's story the most during the telling; Daniel was just annoying, yet probably the most introspective;  Simon's story was a tough read but the most probable reaction; and eldest child Varya's story with all the final reveals was best saved for last indeed.  A bit dark - because death hangs over each story of course - but an interesting dissection of the human heart, brain, and emotive life.  Is the knowledge of the date of your death crushing or freeing?  If you know, do you then somehow play into fate's hand and help it to happen with the decisions you make or don't make?  How would their lives have been different if they had NOT gone to see "the woman" that day - or would they have been any different at all?  They each have their own dysfuntions - is that because of the prophecy or despite it?  Interesting premise, interesting study on family and heritage, and a great little twist that made me gasp out loud!!!  I love it when I don't see it coming at all!!!  Not sure I would recommend this to my book club - it is a bit dark and depressed me - but the ending did revive me a bit - like I said, redemptive somehow.  So, four stars.  Not my favorite book of the summer, but I am not sorry I read it.  The writing is good and well presented, I had no problem with that.  Plus, I loved the cover, remember???  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment