Sunday, February 25, 2018

Hiddensee by Gregory Macguire


Hiddensee by Gregory Maguire
 
by 






I had forgotten how dark Maguire's books can be. Wicked is NOT for children, my little pretties, and neither is this story.

I had thought this book would be more about the Nutcracker and Klara. But the main character here is the man who becomes Godfather/Uncle Drosselmeier. This is HIS backstory - unknown origin, bounced in a dreamlike state from small town to small town, finally becoming a toymaker with no family of his own. A love affair early on seems token and trite and contrived, but maybe that was just me. I found the writing to be stilted with a confusing sense of place (no bridging from one location or scene to another - a very strange stream of consciousness almost). And I was just not satisfied with the story at all.

Until.....the end.

Oh my Goodness what a beautiful way to end this book. It took me by surprise and made me think Oh wait, maybe I did like this book!!! There are definitely beautiful sentences throughout; Maguire wouldn't still be published if he couldn't write. But the whole plot line just seemed to plod along with no real meaning until the end. And even then, Maguire's dreamlike story leaves you wondering if you have questions or if you just didn't get it. Hmmmmm.

I wouldn't recommend this book to people who prefer just to read bestsellers. I am not even sure I would categorize this as fantasy. If you are a fan of Maguire's previous takes on fairy tales then give it a whirl. I would say this is not my favorite of his, but in the end, I liked it. Just didn't love it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review - I am intrigued enough to read this book. I am a huge Nutcracker fan and would love to know Herr Drosselmeyer's back story.

    ReplyDelete