Thursday, November 30, 2017

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng




Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

I was not excited about reading this book.  The book flap did not excite me.  But my book club friend said it was really good, so I dove in.

The Book Flap Writer should be fired.  (And I should be hired. HA.)

What I thought from a review was going to be a politically charged story about cross racial adoption was actually a story of the complicated definition of motherhood.  And teenage rebellion.  And the secrets from your past that can break you.

There is a LOT going on in this book.  A mixed race teenage couple.  A single mom who won't name her daughter's father, especially to her daughter.  A Stepford Mom who always plays by the rules, much to the disgust of her youngest child.  Two teenage girls who are jealous of each others' lives, and each other's Mothers. A boy named Moody caught in the middle.  And a childless woman who would do anything for a baby.  The issues of teenage sex, abortion, adoption, friendships, first love, surrogates, and whether or not to stick your nose in (or your neck out) are all intermixed.  Whew, I'm exhausted.

The author does a fine job of melding all of this together seamlessly.  Her writing flows, even when she is skipping ahead to give the reader a clue as to the future path of a particular character or relationship.  I liked that.  The ending left me hanging and a bit heartbroken, but with a thread of hope.  And the title is both literal and figurative.  A really good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment