Wednesday, July 3, 2024

The Measure by Nikki Erlick

 


First of all, I LOVE Julia Whelan.  I actually think I picked this book to listen to strictly because she is the narrator.  Performer.  Wonder Woman.


But oh my golly, WHAT a story.  I loved it.  I loved how the author wove in and out of each character's story to make this one great plot. Yes, twists and turns and coincidences galore. But so very thought-provoking.  My book club is going to have a blast casting this movie!!  ;-)


Would you want to know?  How much is choice and how much is pre-destined?  Did you make different decisions based on the string that then ended up being self fulfilling prophecy?  Does anything you do really change anything or just make what "will be, will be" come true?  If the string hadn't arrived, and Ben hadn't gone to Group, and hadn't met Amy, THEN....what?  What would Nina's story have been without the knowledge of the strings?  What about Javier?  Hank?  Oh, Hank.   


I got so invested in the characters that I forgot to stress about the WHY and HOW.  Where'd those boxes come from??  That becomes less important than the WHAT.  What will you do with the measure of your life.  Measure becomes less about length than about impact.  


So, get that bucket list out and call your bff and your mom and your long lost cousin or whatever.  This book has big questions, big fights, big love, and both joy and tragedy.  Are we really ever ready? For life, love and ultimately, death?  Big questions, I think very well presented.  This is a great book club book, imho.  My only regret is that I have read it 4 months before book club. (I usually read it the week of.)  But I don't think I will be forgetting this one anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment