Friday, March 29, 2024

The Women by Kristin Hannah

 


Here it is.  My favorite book of the year, so far.

I gave it five stars.  Was it a perfect book?  No.  The ending wasn't what I wanted it to be, but it was a good ending for Frankie.  She goes through SO MUCH in this book that it almost becomes distracting.

But, let me back up.  What is it about this book that was good?  

It is rare.

First, it is about Veterans.  Vietnam Veterans.  So it is set in the late sixties/early seventies.

Second, it is brutal.  Scenes of the horrors of war are not softened, but they are viewed through the eyes of Frankie, a combat nurse who sees what comes into the makeshift hospitals.  No battle scenes, but still.

Third, it hits head on the prejudice of America during those years.  Against Veterans, against women, against the War.  

My dad was in Vietnam when I was born.  He missed the birth of his first child serving his country in the Air Force.  He doesn't talk about Vietnam, though.  Ever.  Is that because I haven't asked??  Maybe.

This book asks.  Tells.  Reports.  On one woman's experience through war, discrimination, loss, hatred, PTSD....and also love, deep friendship, and survival.  There are times of despair, but Frankie clings to hope, and does that Oh So Hard Thing - asks for help.  Her best friends Barb and Ethel are amazing supports - if you have a friend like that, call them today.  Her conflicted family wavers between confusion and hurt that she goes to war and concern for her wellbeing. 

My book club will be discussing this book in April.  I can't wait.  We read a lot of historical fiction, but never about THIS war.  I was fascinated, and as usual, Kristin Hannah did a lot of research.   It shows.
   

PS - I have not written any reviews in the last 9 months, we have been giving birth if you will to a new restaurant 30 minutes from our house.  So while I have been reading, and mostly listening to, books,  I have neglected this blog.  I can't promise I will again become regular - that worked for what, two weeks?  HAHA!  But, this book I had to put out in the universe.  It is worth the time and effort.  

No comments:

Post a Comment